Business Licenses Q&A: Occupancy Permits

Audience Question: Staffing companies have units commonly referred to as “onsites” where the staffing company embeds a manager at the client site to manage temporary workers. Many jurisdictions want a CO or other occupancy permit before they approve a business license. The problem is that the staffing company has no lease and cannot grant permission for the fire marshall or building inspector to visit the client site. Any insight?

Amanda's Response: In some jurisdictions there is a different application which is for “out of city” licensees. This is for companies who are not located in the city although they may have employees coming into the city or working at a client site. If there is no “out of city” form, you can use the corporate address as the business location so they know you are not physically loated in the city and then submit that you have X number of employees working at a client site.

Joe's Response: I have seen in some jurisdictions that the staffing company may be covered under the building’s CO or the client’s business license for the site, but then the staffing company gets a license for their headquarters even if it is outside the jurisdiction. It will ultimately depend on the jurisdiction to decide how they want to handle the situation.

(Author's Note: Business Licenses, LLC was pleased to host a webinar on April 30th, 2014 to discuss emerging trends in business license compliance. During the Q&A, the audience submitted many thought-provoking questions that our panelists didn’t have time to answer. We are going to periodically post those questions to this blog along with answers from the two panelists, Amanda Mattaliano and Joe Vitulli.)

By Alan Ruttenberg