Business Licenses Q&A: Home Health Care Licensure

Question: Do different levels of care require different levels of licensure?

Amanda Gannon's Response: Generally speaking, there aren't separate licenses required for different types of health care providers (i.e. cardiologist versus general practitioner versus oncologist) to care for patients via home health care. There are, however, various levels of licensing for different types of care that may be delivered. You may only need a Home Care License to feed, bathe, dress and help patients with household chores. In turn, you would need a Home Health Care Agency License if you will be changing IVs, drawing blood, administering medications, or checking and recording vital signs. The complexity of obtaining the proper license is often directly correlated to the level of care you provide.